My Spiced Apple Cake Recipe:
225g light brown sugar
225g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
4 medium apples (I used the Pink Lady variety), diced
1. Preheat oven to 160' C.
2. Cream together the butter and sugar till smooth, add eggs and beat in.
3. Add dry ingredients and mix until well blended.
4. Peel and dice apples, then add to mixture.
5. Scrape mixture into pyrex tray (or whichever dish you fancy, just make sure it has enough room to rise!) and level out.
6. Cook for approx. 55 mins. To check that the cake is cooked throughout, push a skewer in the middle, wait for 1 second then remove. If it comes out clean, then it is ready to eat!
Create a syrup using a herbal teabag (I used Chilli Chai by Teapig) brewed in 200ml boiling water and stir in 100-150g sugar, bring to boil on hob for approx. 5 mins, or until the syrup has thickened.
Skewer the cooked cake multiple times to create small holes in the crust, and then carefully pour the syrup over the cake, making sure it doesn't all run into one area (be careful not to make it too soggy though). Leave to cool before eating.
Sorry for the incomplete cake, my family apparently got peckish whilst I was out!
Here's a link for teapigs if you're interested!